Lions Clubs International is active in a variety of service areas. Some of the initiatives operate at a global level, whilst others are co-ordinated across the British Isles (MD level), or undertaken locally within individual clubs as well as across a number of clubs in Zones and Districts. To find out more, click on the links below, or contact Lions MD105 Head Office.
Youth – empower the next generation by getting involved in Lions youth programmes. These are designed to help build confidence, skills and recognise the contributions of young people in helping others. Clubs can get involved through a variety of ways by:
- Supporting creative talent through the annual Peace Poster and Essay contest.
- Recognising inspirational accomplishments and helping develop leadership skills.
- Motivating young people to help others through the formation of Leo Clubs.
- Giving young people the opportunity to experience life in other cultures and gain a new understanding of the world through travel abroad.
- Providing those working with children and young people with vital life skills educational resources.
Contact the Lions Youth Programme MD Officers, for further details and how to get involved:
- Leo Clubs email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Lifeskills visit: www.lionslifeskills.co.uk or contact Mandy via email: email@example.com
- Peace Poster & Essay contest email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Young Ambassador Awards visit: https://lionsclubs.co/MemberArea/knowledge/lions-young-ambassadors-and-shipshape-award/ or email: email@example.com
- Young Leader in Service Awards visit: https://lionsclubs.co/MemberArea/knowledge/young-leaders-in-service-awards-ylis/ or email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Youth Camps and Youth Exchange programmes visit: https://lionsclubs.co/MemberArea/knowledge/youth-exchange-and-youth-camp/ email: email@example.com
Sight – help reduce avoidable blindness and visual impairment as well as improving the overall quality of life for those affected. Since the launch of SightFirst in 1990, Lions have improved eye health and eye care for hundreds of millions of people. Clubs can get involved in this service area by:
- Supporting projects such as Lions Sight Savers Trust, Blind Veterans UK, Korle Bu Lions International Eye Centre and the local Talking Newspaper Service.
- Promoting spectacles recycling and hearing aid recycling programmes.
- Sharing Project Ideas on Sight with club members and forwarding projects planned by your club to the MD Officer for Sight.
Contact the Lions MD Officer for Sight, for further details and how to get involved:
- MD Officer for Sight email Sue at firstname.lastname@example.org
- or for the Vision Screening Lead email Stu at email@example.com For more information about the Vision Screening click here
Diabetes – combat the global epidemic of diabetes. The Lions Clubs International Foundation, aims to reduce the prevalence of diabetes and improve the quality of life for those diagnosed with the condition. Clubs can get involved in this service area by:
- Planning activities with local support groups such as a pop-up stall for a health and well-being event.
- Donating a piece of fitness equipment to a school or community group.
- Downloading the Project Ideas on Diabetes to help with further discussion.
Contact the Lions MD Officer for Diabetes, for further details and how to get involved:
- MD Officer for Diabetes email Karam at firstname.lastname@example.org
Hunger – ensure no one goes hungry and help address food shortage gaps around the world. Your club can support Lions work to tackle one of the world’s most critical and urgent challenges, due to rising food and energy prices, economic recessions, climate change, and political instability by:
- Supporting a range of local-based initiatives such as becoming involved in school breakfast and holiday lunch clubs, food banks, community luncheon clubs and serving food within homeless shelters.
- Dropping off good but unwanted food to a community fridge or pantry project so that anyone can help themselves to what is on the shelf.
- Sharing ideas on feeding the hungry and redistributing food so as not to go to waste.
Contact the Lions MD Officer for Hunger, for further details and how to get involved:
- MD Officer for Hunger email Chris at email@example.com
Childhood Cancer – support medical and social services working with Lions to increase the global life expectancy and improve the quality of lives of children living with cancer and their families. Clubs can get involved in this service area by:
- Purchasing and donating a Lions Lifeskills resource – Life Changes – loss, change and bereavement for a local school or support group www.lionslifeskills.co.uk
- Supporting the Lions International Blood Research Appeal LIBRA
- Holding a fundraising activity to support the new Brain Tumour Research (BTR) Appeal.
Contact the following, for further details and how to get involved:
- MD Officer for Childhood Cancer email Margaret at firstname.lastname@example.org
- MD Officer for Brain Tumour Research Appeal email Fran at email@example.com For more information on the Brain Tumour Research appeal click here
Environment – get involved with local, national and international projects to help create a sustainable and healthy future for generations to come by:
- Organising/joining in local community clean-ups to clear pathways, parks and beaches.
- Consider adopting an area in your community to care and plant, for example adopt a local train station.
- Enter the Environmental Photograph Competition, click on Environmental Photograph Contest for further details.
- Downloading the Project Ideas on Environment and share with club members and projects planned to the MD Officer for Environment
Contact the Lions MD Officer for the Environment, for further details and how to get involved:
- MD Officer for the Environment email: John at firstname.lastname@example.org
Natural disasters – contribute to the work of Lions Clubs International Foundation in preparing for and responding to natural disasters, providing for short-term relief and long-term recovery within communities around the world. Clubs can get involved by:
- Donating to the work of Lions Clubs International Foundation by sending payments through District Treasurers and keeping District LCIF Officers informed.
- Applying for an LCIF grant, contact your District LCIF Officer for further details.
To find out more about the Lions Clubs International Foundation, click on LCIF
- MD Officer for LCIF email Andy at email@example.com