The LION podcast, Step Forward and Volunteer, is brought to you by Lions Clubs British Isles.
A new episode will be available on the second Wednesday each month.
Through conversations with inspirational guests, Step Forward and Volunteer celebrates the positive difference that local community volunteering makes to communities across the British Isles and beyond.
If you like the LION podcast, Step Forward and Volunteer, click here to read the LION magazine. It is published three times a year and available online in pdf and flip versions.
HOW TO LISTEN
Listening to a podcast is easy. Click below to play the latest programme using one of the popular audio platforms – you can also subscribe and never miss an episode.
If you prefer to listen via an app, search for Step Forward and Volunteer at Spotify, Podbean, Apple Podcasts and Google Podcasts.
To download each episode as an mp3 audio file, visit: https://lionsclubspodcast.podbean.com/
Remember to let others know about Step Forward and Volunteer. If they haven’t come across podcasts before, please explain and show them how to listen to the LION podcast.
NOTE: All previous episodes are available for listening at any time – see details below.
A transcript for each of the podcasts is available via the following links:
LATEST LION PODCAST: June 2022
In this episode, we hear from Nigel Perry from the Knaresborough Lions Club, North Yorkshire. The club hosts the Great Knaresborough Bed Race, featuring 90 teams, attracting crowds of thousands, drawn to experience the excitement of the high-speed bed race. Next, we listen to feedback received from those taking part in the annual Lions Roar Competition. A unique programme working with schools to inspire children, to think big, dream big, and change the world with their ideas.
To download each episode of the Step Forward and Volunteer podcast as an mp3 audio file, visit: https://lionsclubspodcast.podbean.com/
LISTEN TO ALL EPISODES
7. Competitive and Inspirational – In this episode, we hear from Nigel Perry from the Knaresborough Lions Club, North Yorkshire. The club hosts the Great Knaresborough Bed Race, featuring 90 teams, attracting crowds of thousands, drawn to experience the excitement of the high-speed bed race. Next, we listen to feedback received from those taking part in the annual Lions Roar Competition. A unique programme working with schools to inspire children, to think big, dream big, and change the world with their ideas. [June 2022]
6. Compassion and Humanity – In this episode, we hear from Radu Cristea of the Lions Club of Cluj-Napoca, Transylvania in Romania about setting up a shelter for people displaced from their homes and delivering humanitarian aid in Ukraine. We also hear from Serhii Denisenko, from Kyiv Lions, explaining how aid is being coordinated and distributed in Ukraine with the support of clubs from across the globe. [May 2022]
5. Makers and Creators – In this episode, we hear from Bexhill Lions, Pam Edwards, Sue Saunders, and Sharon Webb who tell us about their magical green fairy trail made from recycled materials. We also hear from Allan Clark a Keighley Lion using woodwork skills to start a crafting revolution and attract new members. [April 2022]
4. Nursing and Nurturing – In this episode, we speak with Nurse Sophie from Marie Curie. Over the last 10 years, Lions have helped raise close to £975,000 for the charity’s Great Daffodil Appeal, and Sophie shares her experiences of providing care and support for people affected by terminal illness. We also hear all about the Pirbright Nurture Farm, a community project supported by Guildford Lions, with its member, Michael Eagle and teacher, Dan Smith telling the story. [March 2022]
3. Passion and Creativity – 2021 Young Ambassador award winner Ellie-Mae talks about her experience entering the Young Ambassador programme and green-fingered Cynthia Lines opens her beautiful garden in Leicestershire to the public, with the support of fellow Hinckley and Burbage Lions. [February 2022]
2. Photography and Championing talent – Paignton Lions member Ian Snell shares advice on photography at events, such as the Walk into the Sea, before wheelchair tennis champion, Alfie Hewitt recalls how Acle and Brundall Lions played a key role in his early career. [January 2022]
1. Partnerships and Fundraising – Bolton Lions member Mandy Broadbent discusses the continued success of the club‘s annual Christmas Toy Appeal, and fundraising experts Amanda Horton-Mastin and Nick Gardner share tips to access grant funding. [December 2021]