The LION podcast, Step Forward and Volunteer, is brought to you by Lions Clubs British Isles.
A new episode will be available on the second Wednesday each month.
Through conversations with inspirational guests, Step Forward and Volunteer celebrates the positive difference that local community volunteering makes to communities across the British Isles and beyond.
If you like the LION podcast, Step Forward and Volunteer, click here to read the LION magazine. It is published three times a year and available online in pdf and flip versions.
HOW TO LISTEN
Listening to a podcast is easy. Click below to play the latest programme using one of the popular audio platforms – you can also subscribe and never miss an episode.
If you prefer to listen via an app, search for Step Forward and Volunteer at Spotify, Podbean, Apple Podcasts and Google Podcasts.
To download each episode as an mp3 audio file, visit: https://lionsclubspodcast.podbean.com/
Remember to let others know about Step Forward and Volunteer. If they haven’t come across podcasts before, please explain and show them how to listen to the LION podcast.
NOTE: All previous episodes are available for listening at any time – see details below.
A transcript for each of the podcasts is available via the following links:
- Episode 1. Partnerships and Fundraising
- Episode 2. Photography and Championing talent
- Episode 3. Passion and Creativity
- Episode 4. Nursing and Nurturing
- Episode 5. Makers and Creators
- Episode 6. Compassion and Humanity
- Episode 7. Competitive and Inspirational
- Episode 8. Experience and Popularity
- Episode 9. Coastal and Rural
- Episode 10. Exploring and Volunteering
- Episode 11. Fair and Fayre
- Episode 12. Listening and Supporting
- Episode 13. Santa Sleigh Special
- Episode 14. Listen and Recall
LATEST LION PODCAST: January 2023
In this latest episode which is a little different in its format, the host, Samantha Boffin takes us on a step back to listen and recall a few highlights from the first twelve months of the ‘Step Forward and Volunteer’ podcast.
To download each episode of the Step Forward and Volunteer podcast as an mp3 audio file, visit: https://lionsclubspodcast.podbean.com/
LISTEN TO ALL EPISODES
14. Listen and Recall In this latest episode which is a little different in its format, the host, Samantha Boffin takes us on a step back to listen and recall a few highlights from the first twelve months of the ‘Step Forward and Volunteer’ podcast. [January 2023]
13. Santa Sleigh Special – In this latest podcast, we hear from Neil Smith, a member of Calne Lions who tells us about the refurbishment, or should I say re-building of their Santa Sleigh. Following months of dedication and hard work it has been very worthwhile to see the reaction of the public when the new Santa Sleigh took to the streets of Calne. [December 2022]
12. Listening and Supporting – In this latest podcast, we hear from Fiona Reilly, a member of Horley Lions. Last year, Horley Lions set up Warm over Winter campaign working in partnership with a range of organisations to support families who are struggling, due to the rise in food and fuel costs. We also feature John May from the Bert Mason Internet Lions who has been actively working on the Lichfield and District Talking Newspapers for 41 years. John talks about what this vital service means for those that are blind and visually impaired. [November 2022]
11. Fair and Fayre – In this latest podcast, we hear from John Milner of Ashby de la Zouch and Coalville Lions. Each year, Ashby Statutes Fair is opened for a pre-arranged morning free of charge due to the generosity of Anthony Harris, the fair owner for the club, especially to bring children and adults with a range of abilities and their carers. We also feature Tim Clark from Yateley Lions whose making a difference by supporting the ‘Get Ahead’ campaign for a charity, Harry’s Hat, through their local May Fayre event. [October 2022]
10. Exploring and Volunteering – In this episode, Paul Allaway from Guernsey Lions talks about an imaginative idea the club has come up with, working in partnership to encourage families to explore the outdoors through the creation of a woodland creatures trail. We also hear from Tracey Field of Chelmsford Lions who joins to tell us why she stepped forward to volunteer at the Commonwealth Games during the Summer. [September 2022]
9. Coastal and Rural – In this episode of Step Forward and Volunteer we welcome Richard Allen, president of Budleigh Salterton Lions, and Lynda Burns of Dalbeattie & District Lions. Richard gives us an insider’s view on organising Budleigh’s annual Gala Week and its popular pebble-building contest, while Lynda recounts Lions’ efforts in her part of rural south-west Scotland to refurbish and maintain much-loved memorial benches along the Jubilee Path between the coastal villages of Rockcliffe and Kippford. [August 2022]
8. Experience and Popularity – In this episode, we welcome Andy Ansell – Head of Estates, and Mark Ellis – Head of Visitor Experience from the National Memorial Arboretum in Staffordshire. They’re here to talk with us about what makes it a special place to visit. Next, we hear from Annie Vickers, a member of Basingstoke Lions about the club’s mascot. Annie explains how Lennie the Lion has become so popular that the club regularly receives requests for guest appearances. [July 2022]
7. Competitive and Inspirational – In this episode, we hear from Nigel Perry of the Knaresborough Lions Club. The club hosts the Great Knaresborough Bed Race, featuring 90 teams, attracting crowds of thousands, drawn to experience the excitement of the high-speed bed race. Next, we listen to feedback from those taking part in the annual Lions Roar Competition. A unique programme working with schools to inspire children, to think big, dream big. [June 2022]
6. Compassion and Humanity – In this episode, we hear from Radu Cristea of the Lions Club of Cluj-Napoca, Transylvania in Romania about setting up a shelter for people displaced from their homes and delivering humanitarian aid in Ukraine. We also hear from Serhii Denisenko, from Kyiv Lions, explaining how aid is being coordinated and distributed in Ukraine with the support of clubs from across the globe. [May 2022]
5. Makers and Creators – In this episode, we hear from Bexhill Lions, Pam Edwards, Sue Saunders, and Sharon Webb who tell us about their magical green fairy trail made from recycled materials. We also hear from Allan Clark a Keighley Lion using woodwork skills to start a crafting revolution and attract new members. [April 2022]
4. Nursing and Nurturing – In this episode, we speak with Nurse Sophie from Marie Curie. Over the last 10 years, Lions have helped raise close to £975,000 for the charity’s Great Daffodil Appeal, and Sophie shares her experiences of providing care and support for people affected by terminal illness. We also hear all about the Pirbright Nurture Farm, a community project supported by Guildford Lions, with its member, Michael Eagle and teacher, Dan Smith telling the story. [March 2022]
3. Passion and Creativity – 2021 Young Ambassador award winner Ellie-Mae talks about her experience entering the Young Ambassador programme and green-fingered Cynthia Lines opens her beautiful garden in Leicestershire to the public, with the support of fellow Hinckley and Burbage Lions. [February 2022]
2. Photography and Championing talent – Paignton Lions member Ian Snell shares advice on photography at events, such as the Walk into the Sea, before wheelchair tennis champion, Alfie Hewitt recalls how Acle and Brundall Lions played a key role in his early career. [January 2022]
1. Partnerships and Fundraising – Bolton Lions member Mandy Broadbent discusses the continued success of the club‘s annual Christmas Toy Appeal, and fundraising experts Amanda Horton-Mastin and Nick Gardner share tips to access grant funding. [December 2021]